shuttle

If you read my most previous post, you know that my focus this year is to really LIVE this life that has been given to me.

So what did we do with our New Year’s day? We went to the Air & Space Museum. No, not that one. 🙂

Did you know that only 20% of the Smithsonian’s collection of artifacts for air & space  reside in their DC facility? Tis true…and today we went to see the other 80%.

The larger facility is HUGE and it resides right next to Dulles Airport. (click on the photo above to go to the website).

It is awe-inspiring to walk in and see THAT exact view of the space shuttle Enterprise pointed right at you.

We also saw the Enola Gay, the world’s fastest jet, an SR-71, and one of the Concordes.

But for me the highlight was the observation tower.

tower A free elevator ride takes you 164 feet up to a spectacular view. The glass goes all the way around, giving views of planes taking off and landing at Dulles, and the mountains of Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania.

The whole trip was awesome.

Wanna go? Like all Smithsonian Museums, there’s no admission fee. You do need to pay a $12 per vehicle parking fee, and, of course, if you want to see any of the IMAX movies, or ride in the simulators, there’s a fee.

But, really, planes, space craft, friendly docents, tons of concrete history lessons…all free. Awesome.

blessings,
Mary

Advertisements